Updated May 21, 2020
APCO 2020 Health and Safety Planning Is Well Underway
As the world is facing unprecedented times due to COVID-19, APCO is working diligently behind the scenes on plans to keep you safe at APCO 2020, APCO’s Annual Conference & Expo, taking place August 2-5, 2020, in Orlando, Florida. With the health and safety of our attendees and our community in mind, we are working closely with the Orange County Convention Center (OCCC) and contracted hotels to implement sanitation procedures and other precautionary measures designed to give you the APCO conference experience while keeping you healthy and well in Orlando. Please note that these safety measures will be updated based on current CDC recommendations and the Orange County government, state and federal mandates.
Highlighted below are some of the measures we are implementing:
- Professional development sessions, general sessions, meeting rooms and areas in the exhibit hall will be set up with 6 feet of space between chairs.
- Plexiglass shields will be installed at the registration counters, bag/gift pickup counter, exhibitor customer care, resume review and other service desks.
- No handshakes, hugs or high-fives.
- Tape marks will be placed on floors to ensure 6 feet of space when standing in lines.
- The capacity in all areas will be reduced to provide for appropriate physical distancing.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout the event. There are 56 Purell hand sanitizer stations and 1,134 restroom sinks for washing hands in the convention center’s west building.
- Dispensers, touchless whenever possible, will be placed at key contact areas such as reception areas, entrances, stairs, elevators and escalator landings in public spaces.
- The Rosen Centre will have 50 hand sanitizing stations throughout their meeting space as well as stations in the hotel lobby.
Personal protective equipment:
- APCO will provide masks to all attendees, exhibitors, volunteers and staff.
- All facility employees will wear masks and gloves based on their roles and responsibilities and in adherence to state or local regulations and guidance
- Volunteers and staff at registration and bag/gift pickup will be required to wear gloves.
Cleaning and sanitizing:
- The frequency of cleaning and sanitizing will be increased in all public spaces with an emphasis on frequent contact surfaces including countertops, escalators, elevators and elevator buttons, vending machines, door handles, public bathrooms, ATMs, stair and escalator handrails, dining surfaces, all seating areas, and tables.
- Professional development session rooms, Career Advancement Center and Presentation Theater will be cleaned before and after sessions.
- Audio visual contractor will wipe down audio visual equipment before, after and in between sessions.
- Disinfectant wipes will be provided in session rooms, meeting rooms and various service counters.
Food and beverages:
- Service will be provided in a minimal contact manner, i.e., individually packaged meals, no self-serve buffets or beverage stations.
- For plated food functions, all items will be individually wrapped, covered or served.
- Receptions will not take place this year (those canceled include New Attendee Reception, International Welcome Reception, Young Professional Mixer, Non-Traditional PSAP Reception, Corporate Partner & Sponsor Reception, 2nd VP Reception and Connect & Celebrate Reception.)
- One-way aisles will be implemented to help manage traffic.
- Exhibitors will not be permitted to give out promotional items unless individually wrapped.
- Exhibitor receptions are not recommended.
APCO also actively encourages all participants to take preventive actions following CDC guidelines. These guidelines include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wear masks when out in public.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or the inside of your elbow.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily.
Current information about COVID-19 and travel resources:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Visit Orlando Healthy Business Travel Information
- Orlando International Airport Safety Video
- Orlando International Airport COVID-19 Information
Procedures being put in place at the convention center and conference hotels:
- Orange County Convention Center Health and Safety
- Rosen Center & Rosen Plaza COVID-19 Message
- Hilton Orlando Statement
- Hyatt Regency Orlando Global Care & Cleanliness Commitment
Theme parks and reopening procedures:
- Universal Orlando Resort Operations Update
- Universal Orlando Resort Reopening FAQs
- Walt Disney World Reopen Information
In the unlikely event we cancel the conference due to COVID-19, your attendee registration fees will be refunded in full. Exhibitors will be contacted separately with options.
If you have any questions about the event, please contact the APCO Events Department at (386) 322-2500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.